Thursday, April 28, 2016

Toasty Breakfast Casserole



Messy Messy Fail - It's spring concert season again, so that means many nights spent away from home.  It's part of the job as a music teacher, but these evenings away from your family can really become a drag when your kids keep asking if they can go to the concert with you.  "Sorry buddy, maybe next time".  Breaks my heart!

Tidy Victory - My high school spring concert was last night and I must say, I have never been more prepared ahead of time as I was for this concert..  I almost had free minutes to do things prior to the concert I never had time for before, such as make sure my lipstick was on correctly.  Quite a successful performance from my students, they made me so proud!  I cannot wait to hear the recording!




I really love cooking up a delicious breakfast.  

Some of my favorites include eggs benedict, homemade pancakes and waffles, or the easiest - toasty breakfast casserole!

This delicious breakfast casserole has all the basic requirements - meat, bread, eggs and cheese.

Did I mention bread?

A delicious, crusty French baguette that toasts up perfectly.  

With just these few simple ingredients, you have a hearty breakfast ready to go in under an hour.

My favorite part is how crunchy the French bread is when it comes out of the oven.

OUTSTANDING!




I originally got this recipe from my mother-in-law but had to tweak it slightly when I went to make it and realized I didn't have 4 pieces of sliced white bread which is what it originally called for.

But, I DID have a frozen French baguette all sliced and ready to go in my freezer.

Problem solved.

Here's what you need:
  • One French bread baguette, sliced about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 lb. of bacon or breakfast sausage, whichever you prefer
  • 1 c. of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 c. whole milk
  • 1 tsp. of seasoned salt
Here's what you do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Place sliced French bread baguette pieces in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.

  • Cook the bacon or sausage on the stovetop in a pan until browned.  Be sure to either break up into ground meat after cooked.  Spread over the baguette slices.
I used breakfast style venison because that's what I had in my freezer.
  • Sprinkled the grated cheese over the meat and bread.
  • Beat together the eggs, milk and seasoned salt.  Pour the mixture evenly over the bread, meat and cheese in the baking dish.

  • Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.  
  • Let cool for a few minutes, slice and serve.
  • Prep time 10 minutes, cook time 50 minutes, serves at least 8.
I'm telling you people, this breakfast casserole is so delicious and toasty, NOT mushy at all.

We love eating this as leftovers for DAYS.

My husband drowns it in ketchup, but that's okay.  He just likes it that way.

You could also try added some sautéed onions or peppers - yummy!

Try this recipe with your family for a relaxing breakfast that everyone is sure to love!