Saturday, December 5, 2015

Santa Sprinkles + Free Printable Tag

Messy Messy Fail - As we began decorating our tree on Thursday evening, I discovered far more than usual broken ornaments.  Is it ironic that the UPKer helped us put them away last year?  I think not.  Not pictured is the glass ball the the toddler smashed on the floor in front of the tree while we were decorating.  I'm warming up my hot glue gun as I type.





Tidy Victory - I participated in my first Twitter party this week, #SnoopGames, and I won something!  I'm not sure what, just waiting patiently for it to arrive in the mail in the next few weeks.  My winning answer listed all the platforms for the new Snoopy's Grand Adventure video game. Woo hoo!






With having added two sons to our family within the last four years, we have also added some really fun kid-friendly traditions to our holiday celebrating.

One of the most recent new traditions was the addition of the distributing of the Santa Sprinkles.

Yup, you heard that correctly - Santa Sprinkles.

Please let me explain.

A wonderful young teacher whom I work with at my middle school also named Katie (great name!) asked me a couple of years ago after the UPKer was born if I wanted some Santa Sprinkles.

"Sure, sounds really great, but what are they?"

An extra special concoction of oats, sparkles and fake snow wrapped carefully in a square of fabric, tied up lovingly with the directions for the application of the sprinkles.

"On Christmas Eve sprinkle these sparkles on the lawn.  
In the moonlight, their magic glittering will catch Santa's eye.  
The smell of oats will help Rudolph guide Santa to your house."

Every year, Katie and her entire family get together after Thanksgiving with their items to make AT LEAST 500 little pouches of Santa Sprinkles for all the children in their families, their other co-worker's families or anyone else who would like some.

What a wonderful family activity AND what a lovely way to spread some Christmas excitement!

I believe this will be our 4th Christmas receiving our special Santa sprinkles from my friend and the UPKer looks forward to it EVERY Christmas Eve.

Here's our pouch for this year already!



Funny thing - when the snow melted last spring, my husband wanted to know who vomited sparkles on our front lawn.....I had to remind him what it was :)

If you would like to make some special reindeer dust for your family or to make for others, here's what you need:

  • 1/4 c. of old fashioned oats
  • 1 tbsp. of glitter (any color)
  • 2-3 tbsp. of fake snow
  • 10"x10" squares of holiday fabric
  • Small rubber bands
  • pretty ribbon
  • free Santa Sprinkles printable tag - printed, cut out and hole punched





Here's what you do to make your own Santa Sprinkle pouches:

  • In a bowl, mix together the old fashioned oats, glitter and fake snow.  Combine well.


  • Lay a fabric square on a flat surface.  Carefully pour the mix into the center of the square (should be about 1/2 c.).


  • Pull the corners of the square together over your Santa Sprinkles and secure with a rubber band.


  • On Christmas Eve, bundle up the kids with your Santa Sprinkle pouches and follow the directions to ensure a safe Santa landing.
A few tips:
  • If making a larger batch, use 4 c. of oats, 1/2 c. of glitter and 1 c. of fake snow.  Scoop a healthy 1/3 c. of the Santa Sprinkles onto each square - that should make about 8 pouches.
  • I do NOT recommend sprinkling these on your beautifully stamped concrete patio or wood deck - if you do you will have sparkles for all eternity on it! 
This craft is a GREAT activity to get the younger kids involved - lots of simple measuring and using fine motor skills putting your pouches together.

Santa Sprinkles are also a terrific alternative for your child to share at school instead of a food item.

This year when getting ready for Christmas Day, make sure to include this wonderful activity in your preparations.  If Santa doesn't know where to land the sleigh how will Christmas even happen (wink wink)?

Enjoy this activity and free printable with your family!

I followed this tutorial to make my first printable for this post.





Holiday Pin It Party