Saturday, August 15, 2015

Oh, Hey Friday - Rodeo Time

Messy Messy Fail - I have now gone through 2 new light pendants to hang over our kitchen table - I rejected both.  I thought the first one looked rustic hanging up at Home Depot, but when installed in looked beyond industrial.  The second rejection was my fault - I didn't check the size before ordering and it turned out to be a minnie pendant.  Back to searching I go.  However ANYTHING beats the Pizza Hut looking light we had prior.


Tidy Victory - We finally flipped the baby's carseat around so he is now forward facing.  I swear I heard him singing "A Whole New World" from Aladdin in the backseat while we were driving. 


This was my last weekend home before orchestra camp so we decided to do a whole slew of fun activities.  My husband will be with the boys while I'm working, so this next coming week will be quite the role reversal.  In the mean time, here's what we/I have been up to!


<One> Every year, usually around the first weekend in August, the rodeo comes to town!  The event is a fundraiser for the local volunteer fire department, so for a small town it is a big deal.  People from all over the area come to see the cowboys and cowgirls do their thang.  Nana Patti and I took the toddler for the Saturday night show after eating their delicious bbq dinner at home.  




<Two> August Ipsy Box - So here is what came in my box (from left to right) - Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Gingsng + Biotin Volumizer, Trust Fund Beauty Nail Polish in Elegantly Wasted (how appropriate!  I kid....) Skone Cosmetics Luxe Doubler Eye/Lip Pencil in Wine, Juara Skincare Tumeric Antioxidant Radiance Facial Mask, and Noyah Natural Lipstick in Rose.  So far I have tried the volumizer, which I really liked and smelled FANTASTIC, and the Noyah lipstick  The color is okay, I didn't think I could wear rose, but I think if I adjust my makeup a bit I can do it.  I definitely love the cute houndstooth makeup bag and the nail polish color.  Good job this month Ipsy!


<Three> Traveling - Since both of our families live out of town, we are frequently traveling for long weekends to visit.  I used to dread packing when it was just hubby and I - now packing for us AND two young boys is a snap.  I keep at least 4 plastic grocery bags in our suitcases to separate clean and dirty clothes.  I also keep plastic resealable bags with travel supplies including toiletries, medicine and eating utensils ready to go.  That way when it's time to depart, I can just grab the prepackaged bags and start the trip!  We were able to visit my sister-in-law Sarah in her beautiful new home that she purchased a couple of years ago.  She's also really into photography, so I was able to ask her a bunch of tips.  She reminded me how much I like black and white photography.

A practice shot of the back of Sarah's garage, with her "gnomes" growing in the gutters as she calls them.

Vibernum or hydrangea?  It's growing in front of her house and we can't tell!


<Four> Back to School - As I wait patiently for the toddler's UPK list of supplies I need to purchase for him, I think about how SAINTLY his teacher is for committing to him and up to 17 other precious toddlers in one classroom.  I know that there are definitely some supplies that will be needed and are not provided by the school system, such as tissues, hand sanitizer, etc.,  so I'll make sure to stock up and deliver some extras to his teacher.  I also plan on emailing his teacher to see what their other needs are so we can help out.  I can go without my triple cream cheese or olive tapenade for a week if I can donate some supplies to my son's classroom.

<Five> Zoo - While traveling, we had an opportunity to take the kids to a local zoo and MAN did we have a good time.  This was actually the first zoo visit we have taken the toddler to where he was actually interested in the animals - what a concept!  I recall previous visits being dragged directly through with the toddler leading, wanting to know where the exit was.  The baby hung out in his stroller while Sarah, my husband and I pointed out all the cool animals including: a rhino, orangutans (including a baby so cute!) a snow leopard, tigers, a polar bear, penguins, elephants and the coolest - sea lions!

I forgot how much I love B&W photography!

I wish I would have gotten this shot in color, but can you see the beautiful bird and his reflection that I captured?

It has turned out to be quite the perfect weekend weather wise.  How lucky did we get?!?!  Enjoy these last few weekends of August!












Bright on a Budget

3 comments :

Mrs. Keiser said...

Seneca zoo? We were there earlier this summer!

Katie said...

Ding ding ding you got it! I thought I remember seeing pictures.....

Jim The Handyman said...

After reading this post I feel as if you might be my favorite writer. Useful articles. handyman services northern VA. we Provide handyman services in Fairfax, VA. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks!